Prepare to advance your game a the poker table with this DVD. This is one of the most useful and excellent teaching DVD’s on the market.
Phil Gordon (Poker Champion, and author of poker books) guides you (the player) through the necessary strategy to help the novice play the game that is easy to learn, and takes a lifetime to master.
Phil Gordon teaches while he plays a game of No Limit Texas Hold’em. The surroundings are set up as if Phil was playing at the final table at the World Poker Tour. The settings are very modern and glitzy much like the famous poker tournaments. We (the viewing audience) listen to Gordon’s thoughts in every situation, and in every hand he plays.
Some of the most notable points Phil Gordon makes in the DVD are:
- Don’t be cocky after you win a set. Don’t show your cards. It’s a classic rookie mistake
- Avoid being dominated. Don’t go on tilt. fold before the flop if you feel you are being dominated.
- Good position is the last position. You’re able to see how all the other players play and react in order to make your final decision.
- Be selectively aggressive. Pick your spots then play forcefully.
- If you’re the first player in the pot always raise. It forces players to play hand, get more money into the pot, allows you to take control of the betting, makes opponents define their hands, and allows you to steal the blinds and antes.
- If there is an Ace on the flop-raise.
- Take time to think about your situation as well as your opponents.
- If there is a significant change at the table think about how your situation has changed in the mind of your opponents.
- Target average stacks; they can afford to fold.
- Big stacks are likely to call, because they can afford to.
- Small stacks are likely to call because they are desperate.
- Bluffs are explained
Overall it is a well informed and enjoyable DVD on poker. There is some math in it; but it’s not too difficult to understand, and you can always rewind the DVD as many times as you want in order to master the techniques. So go out and get this one. And hopefully you can win some tournaments.
Disclaimer: This blog post, and website is for informational and entertainment purposes only. Gambling is a risk, and is the responsibility of the person who gambles. Please be careful when gambling and have fun. However, if you feel that you have a problem with gambling please seek the proper help.